Tipple of the Month: June 2021

Morrisons Soave 2020

 Morrisons Soave

Soave is one of Italy's most known and exported wines, but it hasn't always enjoyed a reputation for quality. All change now with tighter regulations focusing on the Garganega grape and Soave's terroir of ancient hill-side sites on volcanic and limestone soils.

Soave's renaissance

There's certainly a good pedigree to build on. In 1931, it became the first zone in Italy to be mapped and recognised by Royal Decree as having the potential to produce fine wines. The Soave DOC was created in 1968, but it wasn't until the 1980s and 1990s that the modern renaissance really began. Fast forward to the new millenium and the DOCG Cru areas were mapped too.

Strict regulations for quality

The Soave Consorzio is committed to raising awareness of premium Soave with strict production rules governing grape varieties, growing areas, yields and use of Classico, Superiore and Colli Scaligeri classifications.

In terms of grapes, at least 70% must be Garganega. The remaining 30% is Trebbiano di Soave (aka Verdicchio) or, for DOC wines, Chardonnay is also permitted. Within this 30%, a maximum of 5% of other white grapes traditionally grown in the Veneto can also be used. In addition to the dry style, there's also Recioto di Soave DOCG, a sweet wine made from dried grapes. You can find more information on the Consorzio's website.

Morrisons beating the best!

Morrisons recently scooped a Silver Medal at the International Wine Challenge (IWC) for their own-brand Soave, which also won a Great Value Award. This put it ahead of iconic wine of the region, Pieropan La Rocca Soave Classico, which, at £30 a bottle, is more than six times the price of Morrisons' offering!

The IWC sees thousands of wines from all over the world blind tasted by a panel of experts. Mark Jarman, Head of Wine Sourcing at Morrisons said: "At Morrisons we pride ourselves on offering our customers fantastic quality wines for affordable prices. The Silver award given to our own-brand Soave exemplifies this. it may have a small price tag, but the judges still appreciated its balance, distinctive nose and lasting finish. We're delighted that so many of our wines have been recognised at this year's competition."

Morrisons' other awards

Overall, the supermarket took home 1 Gold, 20 Silvers, 49 Bronzes and 33 'Commended's. The Gold was awarded to The Best Amarone 2017 (following a Gold at last year's International Wine & Spirit Competition (IWSC), while other highlights included a Silver for The Best Crémant de Limoux. Three brand new additions to the range - The Best Vinho Verde, The Best Gavi di Gavi and The Best Alto Adige Pinot Grigio - won Bronze medals before they even launched in stores!

Morrisons Soave 2020 Tasting Notes

Appearance: Pale straw.

Nose: Light and delicate with aromas of lemon ice lolly 🍋, lemonade and a touch of almond cream.

Palate: Dry, light, summery refreshment with similar lemony flavours 🍋 plus a hint of lime cordial and a smooth finish.

Food match: Summer salads, light pasta and risotto dishes with citrus, basil, fish, seafood or chicken.

Morrisons Soave 2020 is available in stores and online for £4.25

… and at only 11% ABV, this hugely drinkable, zesty white wine is perfect for the warmer months ahead! ☀️

You can read more about Italian wine, here on The Write Taste.